FEATURED SCHOOL: PRESBYTERIAN BOYS SECONDARY SCHOOL-LEGON
Undoubtedly touted by most as the school with the most impressive academic records in the country, Presby Boys Senior High popularly referred to as Presec is arguably the most selective school in the country. The school was founded in 1938 and was originally located at Odumase – Krobo in the Eastern Region of Ghana. Every bright lad wants to attend Presec, and don the blue magic (referring to the blue shirts they wear), hence the high level of admission selectivity. The school is noted for its prowess in science but is equally good in all other programs it offers. The only school to win the prestigious National Math and Science Quiz 5 times, winning it back to back in the last two editions, Presec has set standards to be unrivalled. One unique trait of majority of the students is that they believe one can only excel as a Presecan if one can learn and assimilate with less supervision. It has an enviable rapport with sister school, Abugiss. The “Odadie”, (school’s alumni name) is an active group but can do more to support the alma mata in modernizing the schools facilities to befit its image as a leading school in the country. STUDENTS SAY “…” Students appreciate the warm reception of staff. One junior calls for school counseling for students with emotional problems. Another believes the course “Principle for purposeful living should be re-enacted”. Presecans love to learn and research. Opportunities are given to students to apply for scholarships and partake in interschool’s competition. Clubs, societies and sports are active, encouraged and play a big role in the social atmosphere on campus. Remarks by rival schools indicate that the school’s Campus must be beautified to match up with its standard in academics. The Presbyterian Boys’ Secondary School was established by the Presbyterian Church of Ghana on 1st February, 1938 at Odumase Krobo in the Eastern Region. The school started with 16 students who were selected through special entrance examination and with 4 teachers. The first Headmaster of the school was Rev.E.A.W. Engmann, a 35 year old man, who made the vision of the Presbyterian Church to establish an all-male Secondary School started by the Church’s first Synod Clerk, Rev.N.T. Clerk, a reality. In 1968, the school moved to its current location, Legon in the Greater Accra Region. The current Head of the school is Ms. Lady Queene Asiedu-Akrofi, who is assisted by Ms. Dora Danquah-Darko, Assistant Head (Administration), Mr. John Odame Adjei, Assistant Head (Academic). The Presbyterian Boys’ Secondary School is dedicated to helping all students achieve their potential through scholarship, character development, civic responsibility, creative expression and Career/Post-Secondary preparation. To provide a safe and secure environment, quality instruction, personal guidance, and challenging learning opportunities for all students. The school exists to equip students for a fuller life to which Christian education based on the Presbyterian tradition opens the door.